March 9, 2015 - The One with the Canada Day Celebrations Location Change
March 24, 2015
March 9, 2015 - Regular Council Meeting
1. Shriners Parade
2. Formal approval - feasibility Study
3. Canada Day Celebrations location change
5. Tender - Fire Chief Vehicle
1. Luxor Shriners Ceremonial Parade Council has approved a request by the Luxor Shriners of New Brunswick to host their Luxor Temple Spring Ceremonial Parade on June 6. The parade will effect one lane of Coverdale Road. The parade will begin at 11 a.m. and finish around 12 p.m. and will take participants on a route from the Riverview Mall, down Coverdale Road to Cleveland Avenue, finishing on Bradford Street.
2. Council Accepted Feasibility Study for Proposed Community Wellness Centre Council approved the motion to accept the feasibility study for the proposed Community Wellness Centre. The motion asks staff to ensure the report is considered in the Town's long range capital and operating budget planning; and that the Town Council endorse and support the Wellness Committee's proposed action plan over the next few years Chief Administrative Officer Colin Smith confirmed with Council that the motion does not mean the project will necessarily proceed. Councillor Toner, chair of the Wellness Centre Committee, assured Council there is no commitment for a new centre as the committee has previously stated its desire to move forward in a responsible manner without a heavy tax burden. Council will require more information to assess conditions for future progress on the centre, including significant public engagement. Citizen feedback on the Community Wellness Centre project is encouraged. Background information and the feasibility study report is available to review at www.townofriverview.ca
3. Proposed Changes to Canada Day Celebration Council put forward a motion to accept a proposal by staff to relocate activities for the Canada Day celebration during SUNFEST from Caseley Park to the downtown area. The Town will be closing Coverdale Road to thru-traffic from Pine Glen Road to Montgomery Avenue to host a Canada Day street festival next to the Chocolate River Station. The road closure will take place from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. The Town will work closely with businesses to mitigate any concerns.
4. Grant Report Council awarded $250 to the Big Brothers Big Sisters in support of its Bowl for Kids' Sake fundraiser held at Parklane Bowling Center in Riverview. Council awarded $1500 to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, in support of the Walk to Cure Diabetes.
5. Council awarded a tender to Taylor Ford Sales Ltd for $44,561.51 for the replacement of the Fire Chief's vehicle.